This turbo-charged Kia Rio 4-door sedan is a looker!
Say a big hello to Dan, another passionate Kia car owner we are featuring here at theKEEA.com!
He’s coming from Canada and he’s the owner of this fast and furious 2004 Kia Rio sedan.
There’s a lot to learn about his cool-looking ride, so let’s get right to it. Enjoy reading the interview!
2004 Kia Rio turbo
1. How long have you owned your Rio?
– Since August 2004
2. What cars did you own before?
– 1990 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo )heavily modified) 1990 Suzuki Sidekick (lightly modified)
3. Honestly, what was your intention when you bought your Rio?
– I wanted a daily driver so I was not driving the Lebaron all the time.
4. In a few words, describe the style of your Rio?
– Well with the Rio I decided I wanted the look to be very tasteful. Alot of it is personal taste, if I see something I like I try to work with the idea, If it looks good it stays, if not then I try something else.
5. What do you like the most about Rio?
– The power.
6. Is there anything you don’t like about it?
– Well it had all of the typical cheap Korean car issues, rattles, wind noise etc, but I am slowly fixing that stuff bit by bit.
7. What is it that makes your Rio look unique?
– Well for starters it is a 1 of 500 Canada only *Tuner Package*, that made it rare. Add the turbo and looks and it has become unique.
8. What accessories have you installed so far?
1.6 Rio Block bored 40 over (1.7L)
Mazda B6-ZE Crank
Mazda BP Rods
10mm Dish Forged Pistons
9:1 Compression Ratio
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Bolts
ARP Rod Studs
Ported and Polished Cylinder Head
Ported and Gasket Matched Intake Manifold
MT-Engineering Underdrive crank pulley
MT-Engineering GT28R turbo kit @ 20 psi
MT-Engineering MT-375 Cams
Edelbrock Divorced Turbo Downpipe
Edelbrock 3″ Turbo Inlet Pipe
Ported Head & Port Matched Intake
MT-Engineering Standalone Fuel & Spark Management
Intergrated Buick GN Boost Controler
Intergrated Staged Fuel Injection
Clutchnet Stage 3 Clutch
2-1/4 Turbo Back Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Muffler
Filled Polyurethane Engine Mounts
17″ Katana Wheels
Falken ZE-912 205/40R17
Short Throw Shifter
Custom Carbon Fiber Gauge Panel
Kia Canada Tuner Package
Body Matched Headlights
And the list could go on.
9. What’s next?
– Larger front discs, 4 piston calipers, Rear disc conversion, new clutch, repipe charge piping, HKS SSQV blow-off valve, larger front mount intercooler, ram horn turbo manifold and a 3″ exhaust if it can be wedged in there.
10. Who helped you modify your Rio?
– I have had alot of help from Matt at MT-Engineering, we have spent alot of time designing and fabricationg parts for ths Rio and a few others.
11. Products of which tuning company did you use so far?
-MT-Engineering, Garrett Turbochargers, PLX Devices, Megasquirt EFI, KFX Performance, Clutchnet Clutches
12. How would you rate your car; on a scale from 1 to 10?
– Personally I would give it about an 8.5.
13. How would you pimp your ride if you had no limits?
– The way it stands so far there has not been any limits.
14. What do people say about your Kia Rio sedan?
– Some people love it, some people hate it. Most are surprised at the fact it is a Rio.
15. What would you advise to Kia owners who might be looking to customize their cars in future?
– Research and Develop. Hondas didn’t get the aftermarket they have now by not doing anything about it. You have to be willing to get what you want. If someone doesn’t sell something that you want for your Kia, make it, or find someone that will. You have to be a leader not a follower. If you are a follower nothing will ever get made.. If you are the leader you will have the drive to do something about it.
16. Do you see yourself as a Kia owner in the future?
– I’ve had my eye on the ne Soul coming this fall.. I’ll see what happens when it hits the showrooms.
Thank you for your honest answers, Dan. Enjoy your Kia ride!